AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 26, 2012, 11:39   #11
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Is there any reason to bother with curses?
I'm not sure. I wouldn't use it, but some people seem to like it.

For some reason I thought something on the line might be redefined and then stupidly forgot that lowercase words can be macros too. Ah macros, the cause of so many crazy seeming bugs. Thank you for that.

I now have it running for GCU in development. The restriction in the available colours seems to be a killer though: it is slightly better than the monochrome CAP mode, but not much. I don't know if there is a way to change the base colours for GCU players, but I'll look into it briefly. I'm not even sure if I've got 16 colours here... Indeed I think I have 8 + bold versions, which doesn't leave the game very playable when it was written for 32 colours.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012, 11:47   #12
half
Knight

Following on from PowerDiver's questions about what I'm trying to achieve, I thought I'd ask any linux *band players:

What versions do you like to play with?
X11?
GTK?
GCU?
SDL?
other?

I branched off from V before the new build system and before the SDL version, so that might be hard. Is focusing on X11 for Linux players enough? I don't have GTK so getting that working might be tough. Also, getting GCU to work sensibly with its meagre 8 colours (+ bold) might be tough as well.
Old January 26, 2012, 15:21   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Following on from PowerDiver's questions about what I'm trying to achieve, I thought I'd ask any linux *band players:

What versions do you like to play with?
X11?
GTK?
GCU?
SDL?
other?

I branched off from V before the new build system and before the SDL version, so that might be hard. Is focusing on X11 for Linux players enough? I don't have GTK so getting that working might be tough. Also, getting GCU to work sensibly with its meagre 8 colours (+ bold) might be tough as well.
I play with GCU when I don't need subwindows, SDL when I do. (As an aside, I guess you must have forked before the SDL port was introduced? That was a while ago!) If Eddie's change is the only one necessary to make the GCU port work, that's great. d_m is the devteam's main expert with GCU and might be able to help with supporting additional colours.

The devteam's experience says that very few people use the GTK port, but obviously no harm keeping it if it works. On deb-based systems the libglade2-dev package pulls in all the necessary dependencies.
Old January 26, 2012, 20:54   #14
SaThaRiel
Adept

SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Well, i only play GCU (and sometimes X11 when i forget the switch since it is the default ).
Tried SDL, but thats not for me...so would be great to have at least GCU
Old March 2, 2012, 02:00   #15
dionysian
Apprentice

dionysian is on a distinguished road
make -f Makefile.std install

Was going fine, until...

gcc -Wall -O1 -pipe -g -D"USE_X11" -D"USE_GCU" -c -o maid-x11.o maid-x11.c
gcc -Wall -O1 -pipe -g -D"USE_X11" -D"USE_GCU" -c -o main-gtk.o main-gtk.c
gcc -Wall -O1 -pipe -g -D"USE_X11" -D"USE_GCU" -c -o main.o main.c
gcc -Wall -O1 -pipe -g -D"USE_X11" -D"USE_GCU" -o sil z-util.o z-virt.o z-form.o z-rand.o z-term.o variable.o tables.o util.o cave.o object1.o object2.o monster1.o monster2.o xtra1.o xtra2.o spells1.o spells2.o melee1.o melee2.o save.o files.o cmd1.o cmd2.o cmd3.o cmd4.o cmd5.o cmd6.o birth.o load.o squelch.o wizard1.o wizard2.o obj-info.o generate.o dungeon.o init1.o init2.o randart.o use-obj.o main-cap.o main-gcu.o main-x11.o maid-x11.o main-gtk.o main.o -lX11 -lcurses -ltermcap
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltermcap
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sil] Error 1

Looks like I am missing some libraries. Not sure which ones I still need. Vanilla compiles fine...
Old March 2, 2012, 02:43   #16
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysian View Post
Looks like I am missing some libraries. Not sure which ones I still need. Vanilla compiles fine...
I got it to compile fine by hacking Makefile.std a bit (removing -ltermcap, for a start) and (IIRC) installing a couple of libraries (ncurses at least).

I don't have the exact details to hand, but it wasn't too hard.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:16   #17
dionysian
Apprentice

dionysian is on a distinguished road
Yeah, all I had to do was remove -ltermcap... the gcu port seems to be working fine.
Old March 8, 2012, 22:22   #18
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysian View Post
Yeah, all I had to do was remove -ltermcap... the gcu port seems to be working fine.
Should I just remove -ltermcap from the main distribution? Is it doing any good in there?
Old March 8, 2012, 22:31   #19
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Should I just remove -ltermcap from the main distribution? Is it doing any good in there?
No - it is vestigial and can be removed.
Old March 9, 2012, 11:47   #20
half
Knight

Thanks -- I'll remove it for the next release (and will try adding the start menu to X11 too).