Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2012, 00:44   #111
WaveMotion
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
WaveMotion is on a distinguished road
Just downloaded Sil a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. Among the many roguelikes I've spent time playing, Sil shines as a truly unique jewel, in both the simplicity and the depth of its gameplay.

Anyway, I started an account to offer some comments:
  • I don't know if this bug has already been reported, but the player can see when any door in the dungeon floor closes (or opens, presumably), whether it is in view of the character or not.*
  • A humble feature request: I would strongly appreciate if you put in a key (probably shift-Z) that in a single press would make your character continue resting until a) an enemy comes into view b) Health or Voice is completely restored or c) a certain configurable number of turns has elapsed. Having to mash z to heal while hoping I notice in time when enemies arrive is a pretty annoying recurring chore.*
  • This one's more personal opinion than anything else, but I've been wondering if anyone else regards violet molds as a problematic feature for the game. In the gap between the time I hit 200ft and the time that I get Keen Senses or a lantern, I find myself engaging in some pretty degenerate behavior to avoid them, such as firing a couple of arrows in whichever direction I'm walking toward in the dark. In any case, violet molds punish the player with a significant, semi-permanent disadvantage for a single mis-keypress (you'd almost never walk into range of one by choice); that strikes me as unnecessarily cruel design. All things considered, I think that violet molds are currently more tedious-making and unfun than they are worth, although simply putting them deeper may solve the problem.

I hope my criticisms above weren't too negative. Sil is a really promising game, and I'd love to see it improve further!

*EDIT: I guess the bug in the first bullet point was already pointed out in the 1.0.1 thread, and the feature proposed in the second bullet point has been in the game the whole time. Oops. Now all that's left is my opinionated rant.

Last edited by WaveMotion; April 26, 2012 at 11:09.
WaveMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 11:11   #112
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,992
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveMotion View Post
I don't know if this bug has already been reported, but the player can see when any door in the dungeon floor closes (or opens, presumably), whether it is in view of the character or not.
This is nothing to do with Sil and is a fundamental limitation of the angband game engine - the structure that holds the level data is also the data shown on the map - there is no separate data structure for what the player can see or sense or has previously known about. (The lighting code is done completely separately.) So it is not currently possible to avoid showing out-of-LOS terrain changes, though it is a long-term goal for V.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 11:40   #113
debo
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,413
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
This is nothing to do with Sil and is a fundamental limitation of the angband game engine - the structure that holds the level data is also the data shown on the map - there is no separate data structure for what the player can see or sense or has previously known about. (The lighting code is done completely separately.) So it is not currently possible to avoid showing out-of-LOS terrain changes, though it is a long-term goal for V.
I hope that this is never "fixed" in Sil, or I will lose more frequently than I already am
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 12:11   #114
Djabanete
Knight
 
Djabanete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 521
Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveMotion View Post
[*]This one's more personal opinion than anything else, but I've been wondering if anyone else regards violet molds as a problematic feature for the game. In the gap between the time I hit 200ft and the time that I get Keen Senses or a lantern, I find myself engaging in some pretty degenerate behavior to avoid them, such as firing a couple of arrows in whichever direction I'm walking toward in the dark. In any case, violet molds punish the player with a significant, semi-permanent disadvantage for a single mis-keypress (you'd almost never walk into range of one by choice); that strikes me as unnecessarily cruel design. All things considered, I think that violet molds are currently more tedious-making and unfun than they are worth, although simply putting them deeper may solve the problem.
I also feel that violet molds don't add much to the game. You can mitigate the risk of draining by staying out of dark rooms, but I've even found them in corridors before, so there's not much you can do. (I'll admit I never thought of the arrow trick before --- that's quite clever.)

I'm not much good at Sil, never have made it past 650 feet or so, but I'll still vouch that violet molds have not enriched my Sil experience

Edit: More on the arrow trick: I do appreciate non-obvious survival strategies as much as the next person, and they add to the game; but this particular one seems very labor-intensive on the part of the user, and I don't think game design should encourage that sort of thing in order to play optimally. Sil is generally very good about encouraging no-nonsense gameplay and I like that very much.

Last edited by Djabanete; April 26, 2012 at 12:17.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 18:24   #115
T-Mick
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 95
T-Mick is on a distinguished road
Excellent work

I have to say, as long as I've been playing roguelikes, I don't think any one of them has impressed me so much as Sil. Everything is clean and simple, and the game is delightfully cruel. That's exactly what a roguelike should be.

Doing away with character classes, my favorite element of an RPG, turns out to be my favorite part of Sil. There are so many potential strategies, I'm almost exited to die, as it give me an opportunity to try something new.

Thank you for giving the world this wonderful game!
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 20:41   #116
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 383
Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I too hate violet molds but the easiest way to deal with them is to get keen senses a little sooner and/or invest a couple points in will.
__________________
My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 22:02   #117
HugoTheGreat2011
Swordsman
 
HugoTheGreat2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic, U.S.
Age: 31
Posts: 374
HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Violet molds are pitifully annoying. But, the !CON and Herbs of Restoration showing up later make up for it, in my experience.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012, 00:26   #118
jujuben
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
jujuben is on a distinguished road
Violet molds are annoying, yes, but they make for some interesting early choices. Invest in smithing for a better light source and/or "con for the sustain? Keen senses? Pure combat and take your chances on avoiding them or finding con or restoration before you get into anything too nasty? Sil is all about non-trivial choices. Having a few of them early makes for a better game.
jujuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012, 02:42   #119
debo
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,413
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuben View Post
Violet molds are annoying, yes, but they make for some interesting early choices. Invest in smithing for a better light source and/or "con for the sustain? Keen senses? Pure combat and take your chances on avoiding them or finding con or restoration before you get into anything too nasty? Sil is all about non-trivial choices. Having a few of them early makes for a better game.
Just out of curiousity, what can you forge at 100' that will give you greater than 1 light radius? Only things I can think of are amulet of blessed realm +0, or lesser jewel of brightness, both of which are much bigger investments than Keen Senses...

I've been doing the arrow trick as well + avoiding dark rooms -- lets me save on XP while still avoiding the molds.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012, 03:37   #120
HugoTheGreat2011
Swordsman
 
HugoTheGreat2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic, U.S.
Age: 31
Posts: 374
HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Just out of curiousity, what can you forge at 100' that will give you greater than 1 light radius? Only things I can think of are amulet of blessed realm +0, or lesser jewel of brightness, both of which are much bigger investments than Keen Senses...
The only other thing that I can think of is a Brass Lantern of Brightness, depending on if you meet the requirement to make it.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sil half Sil 381 June 16, 2014 14:13
Sil 1.0.1 half Sil 169 April 6, 2012 01:57
Sil Combat half Sil 15 February 14, 2012 04:34
Sil is too hard will_asher AAR 48 January 23, 2012 22:27
Sil v1.0 bugs mtadd Sil 1 January 17, 2012 09:27


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.