Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old April 17, 2012, 18:47   #21
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I sincerely hope Cold_Heart is joking. Nerfing is always a good solution if one thing is overpowered, it's usually a good solution if 3/4 of all the objects of a certain type are overpowered.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 18:58   #22
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Cold_Heart: ToME 2 did that, and it didn't really work. See for instance Melkor followers' infamous auto-Curse ability. Or any Alchemist. This guy in particular should drive the point home.

Mind, T2 was a very fun game. But IMO it would be even more fun if some things had been nerfed early on. Instead the power levels were allowed to explode, pushing some classes into anime superhero territory... And leaving others in the dust.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 21:18   #23
mixer
Rookie

mixer is on a distinguished road
I believe that biasing the learning of spells but still random would give the result that I wish and give the balance that you wish for. I agree that the middle heals cost too much for use in the middle of combat. I do normally play a Dwarvern Priest. I have been playing this game for over 24 years and I remember having to dropping books to be given the wanted spell so definitley don't want to go that way.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 02:33   #24
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
There should be one general (HP) healing spell and it should scale with character level.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:36   #25
Cold_Heart
Rookie

Cold_Heart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
There should be one general (HP) healing spell and it should scale with character level.
This makes sense.
Cold_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 16:12   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Having a spell that scales with character level can certainly work, but it's not straightforward to implement well. How do you handle the cost of casting the spell? It should scale with the spell's power, or else you end up with a ridiculously powerful spammable spell. But then you lose the option of paying less for less healing -- unless you want to implement some kind of "how much power do you want to spend" prompt, which would be a completely new interface issue.

I will grant this is more of an issue with attack spells, where you generally want some combination of spells that are good at dealing with weak targets and spells that shove huge amounts of mana around for big damage -- but it still applies to healing spells too.

ToME 2 has spell power scaling with spells, as well as a type of spell where you can choose the power you put into it, but the latter is buggy as hell and the former has a few balance issues.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012, 02:23   #27
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Having a spell that scales with character level can certainly work, but it's not straightforward to implement well. How do you handle the cost of casting the spell? It should scale with the spell's power, or else you end up with a ridiculously powerful spammable spell. But then you lose the option of paying less for less healing -- unless you want to implement some kind of "how much power do you want to spend" prompt, which would be a completely new interface issue.
Healing schemealing. The current reason to use a less effective spell is because it's more mana efficient. A scaling healing spell should (in my perfect world) only be able to be cast at maximum efficacy. It the casters is in need of lesser healing he can quaff potion or rely on regeneration (or go without). That's the down side. The up side is that there are now a number a free spell slots that can be imaginatively filled with useful spells.
Old April 19, 2012, 03:47   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Healing schemealing. The current reason to use a less effective spell is because it's more mana efficient. A scaling healing spell should (in my perfect world) only be able to be cast at maximum efficacy. It the casters is in need of lesser healing he can quaff potion or rely on regeneration (or go without). That's the down side. The up side is that there are now a number a free spell slots that can be imaginatively filled with useful spells.
Well, if that's all the upside you need, there's tons of slots available already:

* Remove Curse
* Teleport
* Chant
* Prayer
* Slow Poison
* Scare Monster
* Sanctuary
* Turn Undead
* Everything in Holy Infusions

And yet even with all these "wasted" spells, priests are still easier than mages.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012, 15:22   #29
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
And yet even with all these "wasted" spells, priests are still easier than mages.
Likely because priests can actually melee, whereas mages are totally helpless in that regard...
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012, 15:44   #30
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
And because of 0% heal, *heal, teleport, teleport away and orb of draining. Mages get somewhat more powerfull damage magic, door creation, teleportation and also have a lot of wasted spells.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote