Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 12, 2012, 03:55   #11
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
I have only played Faangband,Sil and NPP and they all have their good points. Right now I'm in the Npp tournament so I guess I haven't "really" played NPP, but I like what I see. But Faangband is great for someone that wants a more challenging band experience that is a bit involved than V is. Sil is really great as well but is like the Sword and Sorcery version of V in that its very low magic and pretty much no escapes. But its pretty cool once you get the hang of it and the play is pretty transparent as well. If I knew more code I'd make a longer game based off its "engine" so to speak, maybe something based on the Lone Wolf books or something.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012, 17:34   #12
Egavactip
Apprentice

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
What variant has the most "depth" to it?
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012, 17:56   #13
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
I forgot to mention hengband. Its like Z, but with less silliness and more difficulty. Good if you want mutations, pillardancing to NOT work, Pokeballs, wilderness, arena, fixed quests, gambling, more races/classes...... Oh and a lot more high level uniques with manastorm :O
Don't forget Chengband, an offshoot of Hengband which is still under active development!

http://code.google.com/p/chengband/
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012, 18:19   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
What variant has the most "depth" to it?
ToME 2 had dungeon levels in the several hundreds, if I recall correctly. Deep enough for you?

As far as strategic/tactical depth though, that's harder to quantify. There's a lot of variants with a lot of detail out there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 00:54   #15
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
I have only played Faangband,Sil and NPP and they all have their good points. Right now I'm in the Npp tournament so I guess I haven't "really" played NPP, but I like what I see. But Faangband is great for someone that wants a more challenging band experience that is a bit involved than V is. Sil is really great as well but is like the Sword and Sorcery version of V in that its very low magic and pretty much no escapes. But its pretty cool once you get the hang of it and the play is pretty transparent as well. If I knew more code I'd make a longer game based off its "engine" so to speak, maybe something based on the Lone Wolf books or something.
I loved the lone wolf books, sadly they seem to slowly be forgotten over time, can't hardly find anything on the world of magnamund anymore, that would be a good variant, wielding the summerswerd, and defeating the god at the end, who was that evil god you fight at the last book? was his name Chaos?
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 06:05   #16
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I loved the lone wolf books, sadly they seem to slowly be forgotten over time, can't hardly find anything on the world of magnamund anymore, that would be a good variant, wielding the summerswerd, and defeating the god at the end, who was that evil god you fight at the last book? was his name Chaos?
Honestly I stopped reading around the 12th book...and I read them when they originally were released in the US in the late 80's. Yes I'm old. Steve Jackson's Sorcery books would be another great series to base a variant on...but I'd base it off of FA since those books felt magic heavy.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 12:33   #17
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Agreed that more stuff along the lines of Lone Wolf and such would be swell. Shoot, the closest there has been in years was the Fighting Fantasy RPG on the DS that was kind of a Hexen'ish thing with more RPG trappings.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 17:08   #18
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I LOVED Sorcery!!

Also, there was an obscure series called DuelMaster which I really enjoyed, especially the one titled "Challenge of the Magi"
debo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 19:57   #19
Slonk
Rookie

Slonk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Website Project Aon has dedicated itself to providing all of the Lone Wolf books online for free. I highly suggest bopping over there and reliving the glory days.
Slonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012, 20:23   #20
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonk View Post
The Website Project Aon has dedicated itself to providing all of the Lone Wolf books online for free. I highly suggest bopping over there and reliving the glory days.
That was the name of that website, checked that out before once tjen forgot the website, might try that on my android phone thanks!
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote