Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 3, 2012, 05:27   #1
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
3.3.2 fails to mark saves as dead when it ought to

My latest hobbit mage just got cursed to death by an Acolyte. See death screen -> look at some useless stats, close window -> start Angband again -> I'm back with my hobbit before he died. Accidental savescumming, not good.

IMO Angband should, if possible, mark the save file *on character death*, rather than on hitting the "Quit" entry after death, which seems to be what's happening now. The way things are, if you close the window without hitting "Quit," your save file is not marked as dead.

Edit: oh cool, 3.3.2 consolidates death stuff in death.c. Looking at the code, the problem appears to be that the function to save the game is the last one invoked. It should probably be invoked before the death screen is displayed, somewhere near the beginning of the file. I think.

Last edited by Therem Harth; May 3, 2012 at 05:47.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:21   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Mm, I have once or twice in the past been killed by a miskey, and in those events I appreciated being able to quit at the "You die." message and not lose my character. Anyone who's going to savescum can do so even if the savefile gets marked right off (they just have to make backups via the filesystem), so I don't really see that much value in making it harder.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:56   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
This is WAD. The save is written after the death menu because you can change the keep_randarts option after death. I guess we could write it out both before and after, but that seems excessive.
Old May 3, 2012, 13:14   #4
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
IMO being able to quit after death and "save" your character in process in very un-angbandish. Angband shouldn't facilitate save scumming.
Old May 3, 2012, 13:36   #5
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
IMO being able to quit after death and "save" your character in process in very un-angbandish. Angband shouldn't facilitate save scumming.
Agreed. Anyone can choose to savescum, but it should be a conscious circumvention of the intended behaviour. Writing it out before and after isn't too excessive
Old May 3, 2012, 13:48   #6
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
On windows I get a save on window close, so I can't reproduce this effect. What OS Therem?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 15:25   #7
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Linux, using the SDL interface.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 22:27   #8
Rei Tei
Rookie

Rei Tei is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know you could save a character...the only instances where I have been able to reopen a character to before death were of Angband's own doing. I would be just about to die and the Angband window would close and I'd get the error report message. When I reopen my character, I begin the whole level again. It was nice...now at least I have an explanation of how it could have happened.
Rei Tei is offline   Reply With Quote