Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 16, 2012, 21:17   #11
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
> no breeding of monsters with drops

I'm pretty sure that in V only Black Oozes do this. Although if it is a concern you might want to remove Clone Monster wands as well (e.g. cloning Hell Wyrms after you get fire immunity can be lucrative).

> You could create a save file that resets itself at the upon death.
> This would re-randomize the flavors and increment the death counter,
> where number of deaths would figure, at least moderately, in the scoring.

Now *this* I think is an excellent idea for a competition-based game. Right now, it seems to me that the best way to win a comp (at least a V comp) is to just dive like a maniac for the first couple of hours of play, and hope you get lucky enough to find what you need to survive at too deep a level before some monster kills you. And if a monster does kill you, just try again until you finally do get lucky enough. Having some way of keeping track of the number of times the character has died, and using that in the scoring somehow, would help bring some balance between diving and slow playing. I'm not saying the *every* comp should do this, but I think it would be a nice option to have the occasional comp where winning with one's original character counted for something. And by tracking number-of-deaths, the objection to repeatable levels goes away (or at least diminishes) since the cost of learning about what is coming is measured in deaths, and figures into the scoring.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 22:21   #12
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
> no breeding of monsters with drops

I'm pretty sure that in V only Black Oozes do this. Although if it is a concern you might want to remove Clone Monster wands as well (e.g. cloning Hell Wyrms after you get fire immunity can be lucrative).
I'm leaning towards to just ensuring that cloned/breeding monsters don't have any items to drop. I could do the same for summoned monsters if the calling idea is too hard to implement.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote