Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 14, 2012, 19:58   #21
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
If you set the base delay factor to something above zero, you should be able to see a line of stars appear briefly when your spell beams, as opposed to a little dash flying toward the target when it is a bolt...
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012, 23:40   #22
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
To my knowledge, there's never been a message telling you that a beam happened. Just increase the delay factor, as ekolis mentioned.

Looking at the source, the chance to get a beam seems to be a bit weird. The base chance is your character level / 2. There's a flag PF_BEAM that doubles your beam chance, roughly, but it's never set, as far as I can tell. It'd make sense to have it set for mages and priests though, so maybe it's set somewhere I didn't find. Then, beam chance is modified depending on the spell:

Magic Missile: -10
Frost bolt: -10
Fire bolt: +0
Acid bolt: +0
Rend soul: divided by 4
Chaos strike: +0

So at level 50, you'd expect to get Magic Missile to beam 15% of the time, or 40% if you have PF_BEAM set. Meanwhile Rend Soul would only beam 6% of the time, or 12% with PF_BEAM.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2012, 09:48   #23
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Looking at the source, the chance to get a beam seems to be a bit weird. The base chance is your character level / 2. There's a flag PF_BEAM that doubles your beam chance, roughly, but it's never set, as far as I can tell. It'd make sense to have it set for mages and priests though, so maybe it's set somewhere I didn't find.
The algorithm is pretty clunky. Meanwhile, devices just get a flat 20% (wands) or 10% (rods) beam chance...that should probably vary with device skill.

Mages (and only mages) get PF_BEAM in lib/edit/p_class.txt, for what it's worth.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2012, 17:17   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
Mages (and only mages) get PF_BEAM in lib/edit/p_class.txt, for what it's worth.
Ahh, my problem was that I was searching for "PF_BEAM" and it shows up as "BEAM" in p_class.txt. Bah.
Old July 16, 2012, 00:13   #25
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
Thanks, folks.

A couple more questions:

Do artifacts get a chance to beam (e.g. Narthanc)?

Do skills/wands like Life Drain and Annihilation get a chance to beam?
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012, 02:20   #26
Derakon
Prophet

I believe the answer is no in both cases. Certainly I've never seen Life Drain / Annihilation beam, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen artifact bolt activations beam either. Come to think, I don't think there are any artifacts that activate for a beaming effect, period. All of the offensive ones are bolts or balls. Or "everything in line of sight".
Old July 23, 2012, 05:05   #27
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I believe the answer is no in both cases. Certainly I've never seen Life Drain / Annihilation beam, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen artifact bolt activations beam either. Come to think, I don't think there are any artifacts that activate for a beaming effect, period. All of the offensive ones are bolts or balls. Or "everything in line of sight".
IIRC one of the elemental gauntlets had lightning bolt that always beamed. Not sure if that exists anymore though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012, 09:39   #28
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
IIRC one of the elemental gauntlets had lightning bolt that always beamed. Not sure if that exists anymore though.
The gauntlets do, but the auto-beam flag doesn't. Trivial to bring it back though (but in fact better done as a property of the activation than as an object flag).
Old July 25, 2012, 07:05   #29
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
1. I recently tried using a Rod of Drain Life to target a monster on the other side of a group of monsters. I ended up killing one of the intervening monsters so apparently Drain Life uses the bolt targeting code instead of the ball targeting code. Is this working as intended?

2. Gnomes have wand/staff ID and free action? It would be nice if the character screen specified the racial advantage.

3. When you hit monsters with Meteor Storm (or whatever the name is from Raal's), the message includes monsters fleeing after they've already been destroyed, which seems a bit odd. Probably a result of a flag being set for fleeing in the middle of the 4 separate attacks.

4. Just nitpicking but I ran across a message where I "freez" a monster - I would normally expect to "freeze" monsters.

5. Does anybody happen to know the Teleport percentage for Rift?

6. Is there any way to stop monsters from teleporting me? Apparently Boots of Stability don't manage to do that in 3.3.2; I thought I recalled them working that way in an earlier patch.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012, 07:53   #30
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
6. Is there any way to stop monsters from teleporting me? Apparently Boots of Stability don't manage to do that in 3.3.2; I thought I recalled them working that way in an earlier patch.
Nexus resist and perfect saving throw prevent all forms of teleport level and nexus resist prevents all teleportations by nexus side-effect, but you don't get any protection against any other forms of teleportation. Nexus Q teleportation is not nexus effect, just plain teleportation.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote