Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 14, 2012, 17:52   #1
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Announcement: Angband 3.4.0 release

The Angband Dev-team is pleased to announce the release of 3.4.0 The new version can be downloaded from Rephial. (If you still see 3.3.2, you may need to refresh your browser.) The source can also be downloaded directly from the github release page.

Here are some of the most notable gameplay changes in the new version.
  • A new 64x64 tile set (by Shockbolt)
  • Many new monster pits and nests
  • Fuzzy detection
  • Upgrade to UTF-8
  • Angels have been replaced with Ainu
  • Removal of all weakly cursed items
  • Torches are radius 1 light
  • Changes to how monster summoning is handled
  • Deep descent scrolls now transport a character 5 levels deeper with a delay
  • Various tweaks to prices, monsters, allocation probabilities

A more detailed description of these changes can be accessed from the in-game help menus lib/help/340.txt, or can be viewed at the github repository. The full list of changes, including numerous bugfixes is far too long to include in this post, but can be found in the changes.txt file in the main directory, or can also be viewed at github.

We really hope you enjoy this latest version. While we have done our best to ensure that this version is free of major bugs, sometimes bugs have eluded us in the past. So please post any bugs you find in this thread.

Happy banding from the Angband 3.4 dev-team:

Aerdan, blubaron, buzzkill, CunningGabe, david3x3x3, Derakon, d_m, elly, fizzix magnate, myshkin, Nick, noz, Shockbolt, and takkaria

Last edited by fizzix; October 23, 2012 at 03:42.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2012, 18:12   #2
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt
Congratz on a job well done programmers and everyone else!
Old September 14, 2012, 18:28   #3
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Fantastic....especially looking forward to the new tileset!
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2012, 22:15   #4
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
great job on release,

no abuse my apprentices~~~~

thank you all for your hard work

please always remember wat angband is and treat changes like the plague

honest opinion of a true player and devotee of angband

edit:

WOW 15 MB

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 00:29   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Congrats to fizzix on herding all the cats in the right direction. There will be a comp soon.

I just want to echo (I think) Magnate's comment elsewhere - I've always been an ascii player, but if Shockbolt's tiles had been around when I started, maybe not. They are just beautiful, and (more importantly) clear (27" screen helps).
Old September 15, 2012, 01:55   #6
Quendus
Scout

Quendus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Congrats to fizzix on herding all the cats in the right direction. There will be a comp soon.

I just want to echo (I think) Magnate's comment elsewhere - I've always been an ascii player, but if Shockbolt's tiles had been around when I started, maybe not. They are just beautiful, and (more importantly) clear (27" screen helps).
If I had a *27* inch laptop I would definitely give serious consideration to tiles.

Also, this release was lucky enough to happen more or less during the Annual Roguelike Release Party: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme....php/2012_ARRP
Quendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 09:02   #7
Zappa
Apprentice

Zappa is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the new release. I'm trying it out now.

I notice that there is a lot more stuff laying on the ground so far. I think I ID'ed a ?Light and before I knew it I had 16 of them on hand.
Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 14:44   #8
donalde
Apprentice

donalde is on a distinguished road
what I have meesed up?

ok, I downloaded new version for windows. I extracted it to c:\temp\ and then copied files to another disk where I have angband, no problem on there. I try to open my 3.3.2 char, randart hT Mage, I get: Error ; Bad call which_pval is 67, kidx is 555. Do I need to start new char? No problem starting new, that char is like level 10, but I thought I report this as it might render some1's clvl 50 char useless...
donalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 15:15   #9
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalde View Post
ok, I downloaded new version for windows. I extracted it to c:\temp\ and then copied files to another disk where I have angband, no problem on there. I try to open my 3.3.2 char, randart hT Mage, I get: Error ; Bad call which_pval is 67, kidx is 555. Do I need to start new char? No problem starting new, that char is like level 10, but I thought I report this as it might render some1's clvl 50 char useless...
It's always a good idea to start a new character with a new version. If you don't want to lose your monster memory, you can suicide that character and copy over the savefile of the dead character. This *should* work.

Zappa: Floor drops have been increased to 3.0.6 levels. This might seem like a lot, but really it means on average 3 more floor drops per level. In my test-playing I found these three drops made a big difference between the feeling of empty levels and ones that a reasonable amount of loot. Monster drops have not been increased. Overall, weapon drops are less powerful, and artifact drops are about 25% less frequent.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 18:16   #10
joelsanda
Apprentice

joelsanda is on a distinguished road
Mouse movement in Mac?

Angband 3.4.0 doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks - anyone else seeing this? I created a new character and blew away prefs in old /Library/ folder - 10.8.1. Checked preferences - it was selected by default. So I turned it off and restarted and then enabled again and restarted and still no response to mouse clicks.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
joelsanda is offline   Reply With Quote