AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old March 31, 2014, 06:01   #121
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Nope. That would play a lot like Exchange Places, maybe too similarly.
It would be strictly weaker than Exchange Places (requiring a running start, a correct shape of the area, room on the other side, etc). And if I can leap across such a large chasm, why can't I leap past an orc?
Old March 31, 2014, 07:21   #122
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I might be more tempted if there was a chance to leap away on triggering false floor & pit traps.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014, 07:35   #123
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
There's even precedent in Tolkien for jumping over enemies (albeit in the Hobbit, not any of the First Age stuff).
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014, 21:08   #124
wobbly
Veteran

I'm starting to think horns of terror are more viable then I thought. With a 5 grace feanor, 2 will & channelling it seems to reliably deal with everything up until the point I hit trolls. If I build 1 at the 1st forge as long as I stay above troll depth I'm managing to rush artifact & get +1 grace & will on an amulet by the 2nd forge.
Old April 18, 2014, 08:52   #125
wobbly
Veteran

Taking a look at throwing axes in the simithing menu & their base cost of 2 seems to be just enough to put gondolin throwing axes (12 pts) just out of contention for a dwarf smith. Do they really need to be that expensive? If they dropped a pt I'd consider a 1/3/5/3 Naugrim with 6 in smithing, weapon-smithing & enchantment. Take finesese/throwing mastery, wield 1 & use the other 2 as throwing weapons. As is it seems just that touch too expensive.
Old July 22, 2014, 13:04   #126
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
If there ever is an artefact hammer for combat, please add stun to it now that it only exists in horns of thunder and troll fists.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2014, 10:15   #127
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The S, chapter 8
In a ravine [Ungolianth] lived, and took shape as a spider of monstrous form, weaving her black webs in a cleft of the mountains. There she sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom, until no light more could come to her abode; and she was famished.
Maybe this could be a replacement for Shadow Molds? Great webs of twilight, sucking the light from the dungeon from them. Would serve the same purpose of stationary darkness-maker, and would be more thematic to boot. Otherwise behave as normal spider webs (except not summoning ordinary bloated spiders, of course) Later on in the dungeon they could start summoning Darkness/Gorgoroth/Ancient spiders for kicks.

Also a change I've wished to see re: ordiary spider webs: being able to try and hack them up from adjoining squares should one spot them (if this is possible from a coding standpoint - maybe just replace the perception test of ordinary traps with a strength one?).

Last edited by Infinitum; August 9, 2014 at 15:44.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014, 14:54   #128
Arseface
Rookie

Arseface is on a distinguished road
Make Woven themes require a confirmation prompt on whether you'd like to assign the song to a secondary theme, similar to dual wielding.

Allow people to shift+letter to bypass the prompt and always do a secondary theme.

Put an option in to disable the prompt and only use lower/caps to use the themes.
Arseface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2016, 22:21   #129
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Necro! Got some reading on in the book of lost tales to find Iron Serpent references, stumbled upon the aforementioned Rog in the fall of Gondolin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book of lost tales part II, chapter 16
[...]Now their leader was Rog, strongest of the Gnomes, scarce second in valour to that Galdor of the Tree. The sign of this people was the Stricken Anvil, and a hammer that smiteth sparks about it was set on their shields, and red gold and black iron was their delight. Very numerous was that battalion, nor had any amongst them a faint heart, and they won the greatest glory of all those fair houses in that struggle against doom;

[...]Then did Rog shout in a mighty voice, and all the people of the, Hammer of Wrath and the kindred of the Tree with Galdor the valiant leapt at the foe. There the blows of their great hammers and the dint of their clubs rang to the Encircling Mountains and the Orcs fell like leaves;

[...]Then said Rog in a great voice: "Who now shall fear the Balrogs for all their terror? See before us the accursed ones who for ages have tormented the children of the Noldoli, and who now set a fire at our backs with their shooting. Come ye of the Hammer of Wrath and we will smite them for their evil." Thereupon he lifted his mace, and its handle was long; and he made a way before him by the wrath of his onset even unto the fallen gate: but all the people of the Stricken Anvil ran behind like a wedge, and sparks came from their eyes for the fury of their rage. A great deed was that sally, as the Noldoli sing yet, and many of the Orcs were borne backward into the fires below; but the men of Rog leapt even upon the coils of the serpents and came at those Balrogs and smote them grievously, for all they had whips of Same and claws of steel, and were in stature very great. They battered them into nought, or catching at their whips wielded these against them, that they tore them even as they had aforetime torn the Gnomes; and the number of Balrogs that perished was a marvel and dread to the hosts of Melko, for ere that day never had any of the Balrogs been slain by the hand of Elves or Men. Then Gothmog Lord of Balrogs gathered all his demons that were about the city and ordered them thus: a number made for the folk of the Hammer and gave before them, but the greater com- pany rushing upon the flank contrived to get to their backs, higher upon the coils of the drakes and nearer to the gates, so that Rog might not win back save with great slaughter among his folk.

But Rog seeing this essayed not to win back, as was hoped, but with all his folk fell on those whose part was to give before him; and they fled before him now of dire need rather than of craft. Down into the plain were they harried, and their shrieks rent the airs of Tumladin. Then that house of the Hammer fared about smiting and hewing the astonied bands of Melko till they were hemmed at the last by an overwhelming force of the Orcs and the Balrogs, and a fire-drake was loosed upon them. There did they perish about Rog hewing to the last till iron and flame overcame them, and it is yet sung that each man of the Hammer of Wrath took the lives of seven foemen to pay for his own.
Turns out he's pretty fucking metal. I second "The hammer of Wrath" becoming an artifact hammer; maybe something like:

Quote:
The War Hammer of Wrath (-2, 4d3) 6.0 lb
It fills you with relentless rage. It enrages nearby creatures. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It does extra damage when wielded with both hands.
"The Hammer of Rog, strongest amongst the Noldor, who fell hewing to the last before the gates of Gondolin."
In fact, the entire chapter plays out like a three inches of blood cover. Good fun, I can recommend it.

Last edited by Infinitum; February 2, 2016 at 20:15.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016, 00:56   #130
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
I don't think the "Hammer of Wrath" is an actual hammer. It sounds like one of the houses of Gondolin.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote