Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old March 17, 2008, 08:46   #1
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
[FA] Thrall mode

Having a break from the comp character, I decided to check out the new thrall mode. I've had two particularly successful characters....

1. CL28. Notable finds were HA Battle Axe, randart combat ring (with +3 STR, rDark), Elvenkind armour, BoS(+9) !!!, many useful devices and stat potions. Got killed by the Stone of Lore! I was so chuffed when I found it as I could finally start IDing some of my kit. Unfortunately I didn't realise the difference between a warrior using it and someone with a mana reserve and I got paralyzed and battered to death by a Spirit Troll.

2. CL28 again. This guy found a Rod of Perception which made all the difference! His other best finds were Balli Stonehand and Elvenkind armour and shield. Got killed by Balli (indirectly). Basically the regen on Balli meant his food supply didn't last long. I had to go scumming for food. Got chased by a demon pit which took all my ?*Destruction* to evade and then I got jumped by Tevildo.

Thoughts... loads of fun, though the games don't often last long. The starting food supply is not adequate (and there doesn't seem to be much lying about!) - perhaps start with 10 ?Satisfy Hunger instead? I think if you find recall - rather than 'Nothing Happens' it should set your current location as a recall point for when you do get home. It will be really galling to make your way to Gondolin to set up home and then have to make it all the way back to Angband again on foot.

As a final anecdote, I just had a shortlived Petty Dwarf Assassin. He survived long enough to pick up four items before dying (to a trap I think). I checked his inventory from the death screen to find the unId'd objects included Hithlomir and BoS(+10)... gutted.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008, 09:42   #2
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Thoughts... loads of fun, though the games don't often last long. The starting food supply is not adequate (and there doesn't seem to be much lying about!) - perhaps start with 10 ?Satisfy Hunger instead?
Hasn't been an issue for me
Maybe waybread or cakes of the Beornings?

Quote:
I think if you find recall - rather than 'Nothing Happens' it should set your current location as a recall point for when you do get home. It will be really galling to make your way to Gondolin to set up home and then have to make it all the way back to Angband again on foot.
Possibly - or maybe have a preset one at the starting point.

Quote:
As a final anecdote, I just had a shortlived Petty Dwarf Assassin. He survived long enough to pick up four items before dying (to a trap I think). I checked his inventory from the death screen to find the unId'd objects included Hithlomir and BoS(+10)... gutted.
I think I'm going to have to go and play a few now...
Old March 17, 2008, 09:54   #3
Psi
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Hasn't been an issue for me
Maybe waybread or cakes of the Beornings?
I did actually think of that last night - but forgot this morning... You certainly need a good stock of them though. If I start with less than 5 rations I throw caution to the wind and am not so bothered if my char dies, because death by misadventure is better than starvation!
Old March 17, 2008, 12:10   #4
Psi
Knight

Another somewhat typical scenario... tried on a shield... oops its cursed. Read unId'd scroll... the large metal shield disappears from view... you have no more scrolls of acquirement. How the RNG must be laughing.
Old March 17, 2008, 12:28   #5
Psi
Knight

Quote:
Another somewhat typical scenario... tried on a shield... oops its cursed. Read unId'd scroll... the large metal shield disappears from view... you have no more scrolls of acquirement. How the RNG must be laughing.
Now this is silly. As I already had one cursed item and an artifact waiting to replace it I wield tested a helm - cursed again. Now the other helm in my inventory has pseudo'd as {special}. Arrggghhh.

Please can I have a scroll or remove curse?! Please!
Old March 17, 2008, 12:54   #6
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Please can I have a scroll or remove curse?! Please!
Heh - I've got a *Remove Curse*. Testing thrall mode in the development version; first kill was a shimmering vortex, for 2500 XP and level 21
Old March 17, 2008, 12:59   #7
Psi
Knight

Well just died when a shimmering vortex aggravated an ancient white D... and the irony is that the first {tried} staff I had in my inventory was remove curse - I just hadn't tried it since I picked up the cursed stuff... I am *so* annoyed - yet amused at the same time. I had the shield of the Swan and Ecthelion in my pack and couldn't use either.

One thing to note is that when you get those duplicate @s in the dungeons, it seems they can be attacked (unless the one centred around wasn't me!). That was nasty.
Old March 17, 2008, 20:58   #8
Psi
Knight

My best thrall yet has made it back to Gondolin. However there is a shop in his nice new home
Old March 17, 2008, 23:26   #9
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
That is incredible-fantastic gear @ cl 30 and speed +20. I almost never find boots of speed. :/
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008, 06:29   #10
Psi
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
That is incredible-fantastic gear @ cl 30 and speed +20. I almost never find boots of speed. :/
Usually I hardly ever see BoS either. However in two days (in three different thrall games), I have had 2 BoS(+9) and 1 BoS(+10)! Angfauglith 58 must be the ideal place for them to be created or something.

The kit is entirely down to thrall mode of course. Starting at DL58 means that anything you find has a good chance of being useful (I guess autoscum ups the odds even further). I only have the XP I have because of hunting down packs of Vrocks, which seem to be the best prey at this depth.