Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2008, 21:21   #1
ChodTheWacko
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 155
ChodTheWacko is on a distinguished road
automatic lists+look & colored detection

I downloaded the newest build, have a couple of comments for the masses:

1) I like the 'automatically show lists' option.
But I think it's awkward that it shows the lists for 'look' if I didn't do 'look'.
I was killing an orc pit and they were dropping things everywhere.
Walking through the room became annoying because it kept popping up the
'you see: ' list box for every step.


2) The 'show a colored dot where detect traps ends' is busted along the edges
of the map. Aka X=0 or Y=0 in absolute map coordinates.

If a room is placed aligned to the edge of the map, then colored dots
show up, along the edge, and they never go away.

Thanks for all the hard work.
ChodTheWacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2008, 22:10   #2
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 26
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Re: trap detection edge: When I first made that patch, detection areas were still round; I tried it both ways (with and without the line along the map) and decided that it looked better with it. (Otherwise, you get these big circles that are cut off on the edges.) EDIT: Also, I had originally made it so that you could see the whole trap detection border - not just at the locations you have explored. I liked it better my way.

Actually, I don't think that it's necessary to have the green dotted line anymore. I've been playing around with it yesterday and I don't like it anymore. When detection areas were circular, it was really nice, but now it's just a pain.

I'd propose removing the green line and replacing it with a message along the lines of "You can't run into undetected territory." or something. I think that we need a message of some kind, instead of just mysteriously not being able to run occasionally.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2008, 23:15   #3
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,603
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko View Post
1) I like the 'automatically show lists' option.
But I think it's awkward that it shows the lists for 'look' if I didn't do 'look'.
I was killing an orc pit and they were dropping things everywhere.
Walking through the room became annoying because it kept popping up the
'you see: ' list box for every step.
Try turning off pickup_detail -- that should make it stop.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008, 01:18   #4
CunningGabe
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 250
CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Actually, I don't think that it's necessary to have the green dotted line anymore. I've been playing around with it yesterday and I don't like it anymore. When detection areas were circular, it was really nice, but now it's just a pain.
I'm the one who applied your patch to existing code, and I'm happy to remove it and try to get a message to work, but I'm curious: why does it matter less now that detection areas are rectangular instead of circular?
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008, 17:56   #5
CunningGabe
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 250
CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko View Post
2) The 'show a colored dot where detect traps ends' is busted along the edges
of the map. Aka X=0 or Y=0 in absolute map coordinates.

If a room is placed aligned to the edge of the map, then colored dots
show up, along the edge, and they never go away.
This is fixed now. Also, the DTrap indicator now turns yellow when you're standing on the DTrap border.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008, 23:15   #6
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 26
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
I'm the one who applied your patch to existing code, and I'm happy to remove it and try to get a message to work, but I'm curious: why does it matter less now that detection areas are rectangular instead of circular?
Because if it's rectangular, then I know to redetect every time that the map panel moves. If it's circular, then I don't know where the edges of the circle are - circles overlap and it gets messy. I guess I'm getting used to it now - especially with the yellow dTrap indicator which helps a lot. I'm playing on a crappy monitor and it's kind of hard to distinguish between the light green and white, but this helps.

(Thanks for putting the patch in, btw.)
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zangband versions & development Lipa Variants 5 November 7, 2007 11:22
Entroband Virtues & Alignment bonzo Variants 2 November 2, 2007 21:53
Unangband comments & criticism andrewdoull Variants 9 August 20, 2007 21:30
Turning D&D 3.5 into a Multiplayer Roguelike. Drevasa Idle chatter 9 August 13, 2007 06:29
Feature & game_balancing requests Daven_26d1 Vanilla 6 July 14, 2007 23:52


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.