Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2008, 06:06   #1
Wraitheist
Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 133
Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
Unavoidable death

My clvl 22 cleric died on dl 2250 a few minutes ago:

> You enter a maze of up staircases.
> Looks like any other level.
> It casts a nether bolt.
> You feel your life draining away!
> You die.

Didn't even get to move off of the stair case...that's frustrating...

Last edited by Wraitheist; April 27, 2008 at 06:35.
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 07:14   #2
Rizwan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 292
Rizwan is on a distinguished road
That is true. There is enough avoidable death (aka death by stupidity) that unavoidable death just hurts. There was a thread around here somewhere that discussed just such an issue. I think giving the player an extra turn (by making stairs take 0 energy) was a good suggestion to eliminate this type of unavoidable death.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 07:53   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,531
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
I think giving the player an extra turn (by making stairs take 0 energy) was a good suggestion to eliminate this type of unavoidable death.
The latest version of FAangband has this. I'll be interested to hear any comments - although I suspect it won't really be the sort of thing people notice.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 08:14   #4
Remuz
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Remuz is on a distinguished road
Dying on a single nether bolt means, in my opinion, that the character was too deep for his constitution. Now, many veteran players suggest to dive, then to carefully avoid threat.

Currently, this is not possible to dive, because one is not garanteed to play first when exiting stairs (at least in FA, not sure about other variants or Vanilla). In FA particularly, it seemed to me that the design was against rapid diving, hence the introduction of wilderness. Introducing 0-energy stairs would force the player to dive slowly at first, then allow him to go faster as soon as he gets into the Angband dungeon.

I am not saying that this is good or bad, I am just raising the point, as it seems to me that there are two antagonists designs going on here.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 09:29   #5
Rizwan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 292
Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
Dying on a single nether bolt means, in my opinion, that the character was too deep for his constitution. Now, many veteran players suggest to dive, then to carefully avoid threat.

Currently, this is not possible to dive, because one is not garanteed to play first when exiting stairs (at least in FA, not sure about other variants or Vanilla). In FA particularly, it seemed to me that the design was against rapid diving, hence the introduction of wilderness. Introducing 0-energy stairs would force the player to dive slowly at first, then allow him to go faster as soon as he gets into the Angband dungeon.

I am not saying that this is good or bad, I am just raising the point, as it seems to me that there are two antagonists designs going on here.
You are quite correct As for myself, the way I play by the time reach the level where creatures can nether bolt me, a single one does not kill me. Zero energy stairs wont do much for the slow ones like me but for those who want to dive it will probably be very welcome. So each type can play his own game and not be penalized unduly.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 15:05   #6
Wraitheist
Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 133
Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
I like the zero energy stairs idea. Most of my deaths are my own fault, but when something like this happens, I feel cheated.
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 23:04   #7
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 725
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The latest version of FAangband has this. I'll be interested to hear any comments - although I suspect it won't really be the sort of thing people notice.
How exactly have you done this? I'd swipe it for Un...
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 23:10   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,531
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
How exactly have you done this? I'd swipe it for Un...
Just remove the line in do_cmd_go_up/down that uses energy (p_ptr->energy_use += 100, or some such).
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008, 23:18   #9
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 725
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Just remove the line in do_cmd_go_up/down that uses energy (p_ptr->energy_use += 100, or some such).
What about the FORCE_SLEEP flag? Did you remove it? IIRC it causes some monsters to give you free turn when you enter a level. Is it still needed?
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008, 01:44   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,531
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
What about the FORCE_SLEEP flag? Did you remove it? IIRC it causes some monsters to give you free turn when you enter a level. Is it still needed?
I'm not sure. I didn't touch it, anyway.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumbest Death EVER EvilScoop AAR 20 August 25, 2008 20:20
[Feature Request] No auto-quit on death MKula Vanilla 5 February 8, 2008 22:19
FAA - near-unavoidable deaths... Seany C Variants 3 February 8, 2008 13:54
Actual death from RNG. Zero AAR 3 February 3, 2008 18:11
YASD - the most frustrating death in the world Big Al AAR 13 February 2, 2008 18:31


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.