Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2008, 15:40   #31
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
If you didn't already know it, of Greed-things seems to be a bit buggy. I bought a Golden Crown of Greed +3, thinking that the extra speed and rConf would be nice, but it kept spamming "Your purse feels lighter"-messages all the time which was extremely annoying. Nothing seemed to happen to my money though, until suddenly when I noticed that all my money was gone

I assume that the intention was that it should slowly drain your money? That's fine, but the description doesn't say anything about it. And the spamming of messages makes it completely unusable to me at least, since there's a message every 10 turns or something like that. It keeps spamming even though you have no money too. But perhaps it's a work in progress?
I think I'll adjust that. I don't intend for it to spam you when you have no gold. You probably didn't notice anything because the item didn't tell the game to refresh your current gold in the display; I noticed a similar problem with gold-costing spells a while back and fixed it but didn't do the same for x of Greed. Also, on inspecting, you lose an average of about 5 gp per turn with a helm of Greed. That's too much; maybe .5 would be more like it... and then the messages would be 10 times less frequent, also.

It's not in the item description intentionally... but I see you figured it out. The real question is, is the item good enough to make up for its disadvantage? I'm thinking now that I should add telepathy to it.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2008, 20:21   #32
perost
Scout
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 33
perost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
I think I'll adjust that. I don't intend for it to spam you when you have no gold. You probably didn't notice anything because the item didn't tell the game to refresh your current gold in the display; I noticed a similar problem with gold-costing spells a while back and fixed it but didn't do the same for x of Greed. Also, on inspecting, you lose an average of about 5 gp per turn with a helm of Greed. That's too much; maybe .5 would be more like it... and then the messages would be 10 times less frequent, also.
Does it really need to print a message every time it drains some gold? I will never use it if it does, since I find the messages extremely annoying. If it just silently drained your gold I would at least consider using it if it gave a big enough advantage. The extra speed and rConf is very handy as I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
It's not in the item description intentionally... but I see you figured it out. The real question is, is the item good enough to make up for its disadvantage? I'm thinking now that I should add telepathy to it.
Omitting it from the description feels more Nethack than Angband :P I would rather see it added to the description and leaving out the messages, like the items in ToME that drains health, mana and/or experience (perhaps they exist in Angband too, I can't recall that I've ever seen one).

And I think it would be appropriate if it could be activated for detect treasure. The item is greedy, so it should help you gather more treasures for it. The extra speed helps you get to the treasures faster, and rConf makes sure that you don't get confused (which means that you can't gather treasures)
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2008, 21:08   #33
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
Does it really need to print a message every time it drains some gold? I will never use it if it does, since I find the messages extremely annoying. If it just silently drained your gold I would at least consider using it if it gave a big enough advantage. The extra speed and rConf is very handy as I said.
Currently, it drains 100 gold and prints a message with probability 1/40 every turn, and if it doesn't do that, it may still drain 10 gold with no message, with probability 1/4.

I was intending to alter this so that it drains 1000 gold, with a message, with probability 1/4000, and drains 10 gold with no message with probability 1/40. So messages would be very infrequent, 100 times less often than now, and the gold drain would be about 1/10 the amount.

rConf was random; it could have just as easily been any other high resistance.

The sad news is, even if I do change it in a future version, yours will always work this way. Scripts get copied from the template files and stored permanently for each object.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2008, 23:17   #34
perost
Scout
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 33
perost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
The sad news is, even if I do change it in a future version, yours will always work this way. Scripts get copied from the template files and stored permanently for each object.
Not a problem, I sold it back almost immediately
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2008, 01:36   #35
Jude
Adept
 
Jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 124
Jude is on a distinguished road
Refresh my memory - what exactly is this again?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2008, 04:06   #36
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Refresh my memory - what exactly is this again?
Z+? You can read about it at the homepage. There's a link just below, in my signature block.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2008, 18:48   #37
pampl
RePosBand maintainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 225
pampl is on a distinguished road
Can you make it so that quests check what type of monsters they have before picking a level layout? Chain summoners + wide open spaces = not cool

Besides that I'm having tons of fun, quests rule. I think I'm about to have my first *band winning character, knock on wood.

If I notice some really minor bugs (e.g. magic books don't always stack right) should I report them or are you trying to do big fixes first?
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2008, 00:12   #38
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampl View Post
Can you make it so that quests check what type of monsters they have before picking a level layout? Chain summoners + wide open spaces = not cool

Besides that I'm having tons of fun, quests rule. I think I'm about to have my first *band winning character, knock on wood.

If I notice some really minor bugs (e.g. magic books don't always stack right) should I report them or are you trying to do big fixes first?
There's a reason those books aren't stacking, and it's not a bug. I'll leave it to you to figure it out... let me just add, you lucky bastard.

Which was the chain summoner / wide open quest? There is a level adjustment for quest types, perhaps that one could stand to have a higher adjustment.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2008, 04:23   #39
pampl
RePosBand maintainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 225
pampl is on a distinguished road
There were a couple of 'clear this floor of firebreathers' quests that were wide open and had pairs of GWoP sitting around. They were already rated 85ish so I should've probably just quit bellyaching and saved up some scrolls of genocide. Summoners in quests in general are really scary though, so many quest areas lack thick enough walls to build an anti-summon corridor

I wasn't that lucky, none of the books I found were ones I could use. I did score a PDSM but then a ring killed me. Z is very odd.
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2008, 07:48   #40
Jude
Adept
 
Jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 124
Jude is on a distinguished road
I might have to check this out...I just lost a very excellent Chaos Warrior (level 31 which is high for me, but I'd had unbelievable luck and picked up some of the sickest gear I've ever seen....all was well till I ran into some unique "u" who summoned and raped me.

How is the bug status? Playable but with serious glitches? Or basically good to go?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Z+Angband 0.2.1 (beta) released! Mangojuice Variants 14 September 8, 2008 05:28
[Un]angband 0.6.2 beta 2 has been released! Bandobras Variants 178 April 20, 2008 22:24
Angband 3.0.9b released. takkaria Vanilla 3 April 12, 2008 11:58
[Announce] Angband 3.0.9a released takkaria Vanilla 14 March 4, 2008 19:40
Angband 3.0.9 released takkaria Vanilla 18 August 8, 2007 03:30


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.